Wednesday 13 April 2011

FF issue 1

I know I’m a bit late to the party here but I haven’t read many comics over the last couple of weeks since I’ve had my head stuck in “Game of Thrones” but here it goes.
FF issue one was, over all, very disappointing. The death of Storm was very interesting, especially the aftermath issue, but this follow up just doesn’t live up to that.
I can’t fault the writing much. Hickman’s a talented writer whi8le Epting ‘s art is decent, as always but the book just didn’t live up to the hype.
One scene that irks me is the tour that Sue Storm gives to Spider-Man. She takes him around the recently redecorated Baxter building while we the reader, get a look at the future foundation characters.
But the tour just seems so lazy and rushed. The only good thing about it is that it is consistent with the rest of the issue.
Also, very little is mentioned of grief and that I’m both thankful for and annoyed at. Johnny’s death is the perfect opportunity to change the characters. The closest we to get to seeing this is Ben moping for a while.
As I’ve mentioned, the art is decent but nothing special. It is not the best work Epting has ever done but it’s still better than some.
Really, the only flaw is with the pacing. I am confident that the writing will improve during the following issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment